[Humanist] 23.400 preservation of MOOs?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 30 07:54:34 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:29:04 -0400 (EDT)
        From: Francois Lachance <lachance at chass.utoronto.ca>
        Subject: Preserving Digital Culture : MOOs in particular

Willard,

I wonder if subscribers to Humanist would know about any efforts to preserve MOOs.

LinguaMOO a few years ago went off-line.

In lieu of a requiem, allow me to quote

from an evocative piece called "Mirage"

     A glimmering of sunlight, a candle in the rain,
     Just enjoy my company, I don't want to give you pain.
     Like alfvar or faerie, I have no heart to give.
     I cannot truly love you, for I do not truly live.

attributed to Stardancer at LambdaMOO (last logged-in in 2000)

Eerie and fitting as we approach All Hallows Eve.

--
Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance