[Humanist] 23.395 undergrad programmes

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Oct 27 09:13:13 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Stephen Woodruff" <s.woodruff at arts.gla.ac.uk>            (24)
        Subject: undergrad programme titles

  [2]   From:    "Brett D. Hirsch" <bdhirsch at uvic.ca>                     (101)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.393 undergrad programmes

        Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:47:23 -0000
        From: "Stephen Woodruff" <s.woodruff at arts.gla.ac.uk>

We are agonising over our degree and programme name, so when responding
to Tanya's question (below) about existence, could you also list the
name(s) you give your programme, degree or option? We currently call our
undergraduate joint degree programme Arts & Media Informatics and find
that (a) a lot of potential students don't know the word Informatics and
(b) quite a few seize on 'media' and assume we mean either journalism or
art & design.

Most students taking our course in their first year stay with us for the
4-year degree, even if they initially saw us as a fill-in option from
some other programme. Our problem is getting them in the first place:
when reading the course catalogue they skip over unfamiliar subjects
that have no presence in the school curriculum.

many thanks,
Stephen Woodruff
Humanities Advanced Technology & Information Institute
11 University Gardens
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ
Scotland/UK