[Humanist] 23.389 metaphors, roles, constructions

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 23 09:29:14 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:48:31 -0400 (EDT)
        From: Francois Lachance <lachance at chass.utoronto.ca>
        Subject: Metaphors, Roles, Disciplinary constructions

Willard

In an effort to enrich the discussions about disciplinary activity in the 21st century, I turn to a book published late in the last century: _Internet Dreams: Archetypes, Myths, and Metaphors_ edited by Mark Stefik.

Stefik presents four metaphors:

digital library (The Keeper of Knowledge)
electronic mail (Communicator)
electronic marketplace (Trader)
digital world (Adventurer)

I wonder how these map out, if they do, onto the various roles assumed by the players who sustain and
publicize the work of humanities computing.

 --
Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance