[Humanist] 23.365 new on WWW: van Gogh's letters

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Oct 10 05:53:33 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 14:12:36 +0200
        From: pboot <pboot at xs4all.nl>
        Subject: A new edition of Vincent van Gogh's letters

Dear all,

Some of you may be interested in the new digital edition of all extant
letters from and to Vincent van Gogh that we launched yesterday, available
free of charge at http://www.vangoghletters.org. The edition is based on
fifteen years of research. For each of the 902 letters the site gives a
transcription of the original Dutch or French, a translation into English,
a full (zoomable) facsimile, comprehensive annotation, and illustrations
(about 2000 in all) of the works of art discussed in the letters. Editorial
procedures are explained under 'About this edition'
(http://www.vangoghletters.org/vg/about_1.html).

Information about the accompanying six-volume book edition is available at
http://www.vangoghletters.org/vg/bookedition.html. One of the more
interesting aspects of this project is that even though the integral
scholarly output of the project is accessible online, we still expect that
the book edition will sell. The experience of reading a book and using a
website are, we believe, sufficiently different to make book and site
complementary rather than competing products.

We hope you enjoy the edition.

Peter Boot