[Humanist] 23.355 the invisible middle (continued)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Oct 7 08:13:58 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Siobhan King <Siobhan.King at oag.govt.nz>                    (9)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 23.347 the invisible middle

  [2]   From:    "Borovsky, Zoe" <zoe at ats.ucla.edu>                        (10)
        Subject: FW: [Humanist] 23.342 the invisible middle

        Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 16:58:32 +1300
        From: Siobhan King <Siobhan.King at oag.govt.nz>

>> "Why do we persistently imagine that if human beings were to create an independent intelligence that it would result rebel against us, usually with apocalyptic results?"

Hmmm, the sort of thing that makes us take a good hard look at our children perhaps?

>>Seems to me that we would be comparing two fundamentally unlike
objects.  But, we can try.

I'm with you on that one. I think that some of the anxiety springs from how unlike organic thought AI might be, lacking emotions (like Terminator) or morality (like in the Matrix) or appreciation of the essence of humanity or its value (like in I Robot or again the Matrix)

Sounds interesting.