[Humanist] 23.449 events: open data & visualisation

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Nov 19 07:18:43 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:46:58 -0600
        From: Ana Boa-Ventura <anaventura at mail.utexas.edu>
        Subject: Visualizar'09 - an interesting approach

Dear Humanists,

Visualizar'09 is currently taking place at Medialab-Prado in Madrid
(Nov12- 27). The workshop follows an innovative and gripping call for
proposals put out by José Luis de Vicente (member of Bestiario), in
which applicants were asked to submit large public data sets that they
are working with (or want to work with) from their research
organizations.

Project tutors are working with the participants in the return of data
to the public domain in visually compelling, impacting and actionable
ways. These tutors include members of the outstanding SF-based
“Stamen” and Barcelona/Lisbon based “Bestiario” teams.

The workshop follows an international conference with the same focus:
the intersection of the open data movement and information visualization

This is how Ben Cerveny (Stamen facilitator at Visualizar’09)
described the approach on a personal email now made public:)

“[…] we encouraged applicants  to do research on which datasets in
their field of interest had already been released into the public
domain.  In some cases, we accepted people into the workshop who work
for agencies that have generated large amounts of data that they are
interested in making public, but do not yet understand the full legal
and technical process.  We will most likely be producing a document
based on the workshop which outlines some of the process
recommendations for approaching public institutions [from the inside
or the outside] about opening up datasources”.

If you are against the privatization of (the type of) data that by
definition should have no owner, and against the intellectual property
of facts, stay tuned for the results of Visualizar’09.

Ana Boa-Ventura
Doctoral candidate, University of Texas at Austin
The Global Middle Ages http://www.laits.utexas.edu/gma/mappamundi/
Personal page: http://www.ana-morphosis.org (in progress)