[Humanist] 23.437 process/product

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 16 09:06:30 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:51:15 +0100
        From: Øyvind Eide <oyvind.eide at iln.uio.no>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.432 process/product? models for tenure & promotion?

Two comments, or observations, based on very broad, very simplified
views on the history of the world.

One long-term:

 From oral cultures to written cultures, from written cultures to
secondary orality (Ong). The first one verb/event oriented, the second
one noun/thing oriented, the third one both?

And one short-term:

 From databases (in cultural heritage, as elsewhere) mainly concerned
with things (collection databases representing objects and attributes
of them) towards event-oriented modelling (e.g. CIDOC-CRM).

Kind regards,

Øyvind Eide
Unit for Digital Documentation, University of Oslo