[Humanist] 23.433 new text-analysis tool; CHAIN

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 13 11:47:33 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Lydia Horstman <lydia.horstman at kcl.ac.uk>                 (66)
        Subject: Coalition of Humanities and Arts: Infrastructures and
                Networks (CHAIN)

  [2]   From:    Peter Organisciak <organisc at ualberta.ca>                  (12)
        Subject: Seeking feedback on text analysis tool

        Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:01:16 +0000
        From: Lydia Horstman <lydia.horstman at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Coalition of Humanities and Arts: Infrastructures and Networks (CHAIN)

A meeting was held at King's College, London, on 26th and 27th October
2009, between representatives of the following networks, infrastructure
projects, and planning initiatives working with digital technologies in
the Arts and Humanities:

    * arts-humanities.net (http://www.arts-humanities.net/)
    * ADHO - Association of Digital Humanities Organisations
      (http://www.digitalhumanities.org/)
    * CLARIN (http://www.clarin.eu/)
    * centerNet (http://www.digitalhumanities.org/centernet/)
    * DARIAH (http://www.dariah.eu/)
    * NoC - Network of Expert Centres in Great Britain and Ireland
      (http://www.arts-humanities.net/noc/)
    * Project Bamboo (http://projectbamboo.org/)
    * TextGrid (http://www.textgrid.de/)

We identified the current fragmented environment where researchers
operate in separate areas with often mutually incompatible technologies
as a barrier to fully exploiting the transformative role that these
technologies can potentially play. We resolved that our present,
proposed, and future activities are interdependent and complementary and
should be oriented towards working together to overcome barriers, and to
create a shared environment where technology services can interoperate
and be sustained, thus enabling new forms of research in the Humanities.

In order to achieve these goals we agreed to form the Coalition of
Humanities and Arts Infrastructures and Networks – CHAIN. CHAIN will act
as a forum forareas of shared interest to its participants, including:

    * advocacy for an improved digital research infrastructure for the
      Humanities;
    * development of sustainable business models;
    * promotion of technical interoperability of resources, tools and
      services;
    * promotion of good practice and relevant technical standards;
    * development of a shared service infrastructure;
    * coordinating approaches to legal and ethical issues;
    * interactions with other relevant computing infrastructure initiatives;
    * widening the geographical scope of our coalition.

CHAIN will promote an open culture where experiences, including
successes and failures, can be shared and discussed, in order to support
and promote the use of digital technologies in research in the Humanities.

Sheila Anderson, King's College London (DARIAH)
Andreas Aschenbrenner, State and University Library Göttingen (TextGrid,
DARIAH)
David Greenbaum, University of California, Berkeley (Project Bamboo)
Seth Denbo, King's College, London (DARIAH)
Neil Fraistat, University of Maryland (centerNet)
Chad Kainz, University of Chicago (Project Bamboo)
Steven Krauwer, Utrecht University (CLARIN)
Lorna Hughes, King's College London (ADHO, NoC)
Tobias Blanke, King's College London (DARIAH)
Torsten Reimer, King's College London (arts-humanities.net)
David Robey, University of Oxford (NoC)
Harold Short, King's College London (ADHO)
Katherine Walter, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (centerNet)
Peter Wittenburg, Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (CLARIN)
Martin Wynne, University of Oxford (CLARIN, DARIAH)

For further information:
http://www.arts-humanities.net/blog/torsten_reimer/coalition_humanities_arts_infrastructures_networks_chain

--
Lydia Horstman
Communications and Administrative Officer