[Humanist] 23.425 events: DHCS 2009 & HASTAC 2010

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Nov 8 09:19:34 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    hastac-web at duke.edu                                      (127)
        Subject: HASTAC 2010

  [2]   From:    Shlomo Argamon <argamon at iit.edu>                          (46)
        Subject: FINAL CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: DHCS 2009

        Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 16:04:46 -0500
        From: hastac-web at duke.edu

HASTAC 2010: Grand Challenges and Global Innovations Conference

HASTAC is delighted to announce the HASTAC 2010: Grand Challenges and Global
Innovations Conference.

We want to extend an invitation to all of our HASTAC Scholars, DML Winners
and all members to please think about how you can participate in our next
conference. Below is the information on how to participate as an individual,
a group, a panel. Please read and consider being an active participant.
Remember: HASTAC is what you ma

Held April 15-17, 2010 and hosted by the Institute for Computing in
Humanities, Arts, and Social Science at the University of Illinois, HASTAC
2010: Grand Challenges and Global Innovations will be a free, entirely
virtual event held in a multiplicity of digital spaces instigated from sites
across the globe.

This years’ event will focus on grand challenges and global innovations in
the form of technologies, research, teaching, and inquiry that can be
leveraged across personal, physical, geographical, institutional,
disciplinary, and organizational boundaries. HASTAC 2010 seeks to ask: what
are the influence(s) of virtual spaces that can transcend boundaries to
impact global innovations? How will the next generation of digital
technologies alter personal, physical, geographical, institutional,
disciplinary, and organizational boundaries? What are the grand challenges in
humanities, arts, and sciences that will shape the next generation of global
innovation?

In the spirit of including digital innovators from across the globe, HASTAC
2010 will feature keynote events hosted at research centers from across the
globe during the conference. Confirmed “virtual hub” participants
include:

 >• Georg-August-Universität Göttingen [1] (GAUG, Germany)
 >• King’s College London [2] (KCL, UK)
 >• Laboratório Nacional de Computação Científica [3] (LNCC, Brazil)
 >• The Advanced Digital Sciences Center, Fusionopolis [4] (Singapore)
 >• El Centro Nacional de Alta Tecnología [5] (CeNAT, Costa Rica)
 >• National Center for Supercomputing Applications [6] (NCSA, USA)
 >• Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center [7] (PSC, USA)
 >• The Center for Computation and Technology, Louisiana State University
 >[8] (CCT, USA)
 >• The Center for Computational Sciences University of Kentucky [9] (CCS,
 >USA)
 >• The National University Community Research Institute [10] (NUCRI, USA)
 >• The John Hope Franklin Humanities Institute, Duke University [11] (FHI,
 >USA)
 >• The Texas Advanced Computing Center [12] (TACC, USA)
 >• The Institute for Multimedia Literacy, University of Southern California
 >[13] (IML, USA)
 >• The University of California Humanities Research Institute [14] (UCHRI,
 >USA)
 >• The Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities [15] (MITH,
 >USA).

To foster innovation in research, HASTAC 2010 will feature special sessions
on:

 >• Young scholars where undergraduate and graduate students can present
 >works in progress and
 >receive support and feedback from the HASTAC community.
 >• Disciplinary pedagogy where participants can explore the meaning of
 >“global innovation” with the teaching of digital humanities, arts, and
 >sciences.

HASTAC 2010 Conference submissions will be accepted WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 11,
2009 through FRIDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2009.

*Submission guidelines for the GENERAL CONFERENCE:
*Individually: Individual Participants will be required to submit the
following information:1) complete contact information including valid phone,
e-mail, and institutional affiliation; 2) curriculum vita/resume; 3) a
one-page abstract of the work they would like to present that must discuss
its relationship to the conference theme; 3) a brief explanation of the
technology they would like to use for the conference that clearly specifies
their experience with that technology and a discussion of any support that
may be required for their presentation;

*Panel/Group Presentations:
*Panel/Group Participants will be required to submit the following
information: 1) complete contact information including valid phone, e-mail,
and institutional affiliation for all participants; 2) curriculum vita/resume
for all participants; 3) a one-page abstract of the work they would like to
present that must discuss its relationship to the conference theme; 4)
identification of the panel/group organizer who will be required to
facilitate the panel/group involvement; 5) a brief explanation of the
technology they would like to use for the conference that clearly specifies
their experience with that technology and a discussion of any support that
may be required for their presentation;

Electronic submissions will be accepted from WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 2009
through FRIDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2009. Upon closing of the submission window, all
submissions will be reviewed by the domain committees and invitations to
participate will be issued (no later than JANUARY 29, 2010). Criteria for
acceptance are: 1) the “innovative” nature of the proposal; 2) the
proposal’s relevancy to global issues in technological inquiry; 3) the
proposal’s argument in relation to a grand challenge; 4) the qualifications
of the presenter(s)

Upon acceptance to the conference, presenters will be provided with clear
guidelines regarding the technological support provided by the conference and
production standards related to submitting their content. Accepted presenters
should be prepared to assume financial and technological liability for their
presentation and to be available for consultation in the weeks prior. While
HASTAC 2010 will not subsidize individual or group presentations, HASTAC 2010
would be delighted to aid presenters in securing funding from their local
institutions via a letter of support.

*Key dates:*
Abstract submissions due: Dec. 18, 2009
Notification of participants: Jan. 29, 2010
Conference: April 15-17, 2010

*Points of Contact:*
Institute for Computing in Humanities, Arts, and Social Science
1205 W. Clark St., MC-257
Urbana, Illinois 61820
guiliano at illinois.edu [16] with HASTAC 2010 in the Subject Line

More information will be made available at
http://ichass.illinois.edu/hastac2010 [17]

[1] http://www.uni-goettingen.de/
[2] http://www.kcl.ac.uk/
[3] http://www.lncc.br/
[4] http://www.fusionopolis.a-star.edu.sg/
[5] http://www.cenat.ac.cr
[6] http://www.ncsa.illinois.edu/
[7] http://www.psc.edu/
[8] http://www.cct.lsu.edu/home
[9] https://www.ccs.uky.edu/
[10] http://nucri.nu.edu/
[11] http://fhi.duke.edu/
[12] http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/
[13] http://cinema.usc.edu/programs/iml/
[14] http://www.uchri.org/
[15] http://mith.umd.edu/
[16] mailto:guiliano at illinois.edu
[17] http://ichass.illinois.edu/hastac2010

        Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 14:52:02 -0600
        From: Shlomo Argamon <argamon at iit.edu>

FINAL CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Critical Computing:

Models and Challenges for Interdisciplinary Collaboration

2009 Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science

    http://dhcs.iit.edu

November 14-16, 2009

Illinois Institute of Technology

Hermann Hall, 3241 S Federal St.

McCormick-Tribune Campus Center, 3201 S State St.

Chicago, IL 60616

The annual Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer

Science (DHCS) brings together researchers and scholars in the

humanities and computer science to advance interdisciplinary

collaborations between the digital humanists and computer scientists,

advancing the area as a field of intellectual inquiry and identifying

new directions and perspectives for future research.

Program:      http://dhcs.iit.edu/fullprogram.html

Registration: http://dhcs.iit.edu/registration.html

Please register by Wednesday, November 11, as space is limited.

INVITED SPEAKERS:

* Stephen Wolfram: What Can Be Made Computable in the Humanities?

  Dr. Wolfram is the founder and CEO of Wolfram Research, creator of

  Mathematica and Wolfram|Alpha, and author of A New Kind of Science.

* Vasant Honavar: Humanities as Information Sciences

  Dr. Honavar is professor of Computer Science at Iowa State

  University, and founding director of the Artificial Intelligence

  Research Laboratory and the Center for Computational Intelligence,

  Learning & Discovery.

* Roger B. Dannenberg: The Music Technology Revolution

  Dr. Dannenberg is associate research professor of Computer

  Science and Art at Carnegie Mellon University, and fellow of the

  Studio for Creative Inquiry.

SPONSORED BY:

  * Illinois Institute of Technology

  * The University of Chicago