[Humanist] 23.413 devices prior to uses

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Nov 5 08:36:44 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Stan Ruecker <sruecker at ualberta.ca>                       (54)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.412 devices prior to uses

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (35)
        Subject: inventions and uses

        Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 00:17:39 -0700
        From: Stan Ruecker <sruecker at ualberta.ca>

In episode 6, part 4 of his Connections series, James Burke describes
how Volta's "malaria pistol" was invented in 1776 to test for bad air.
The user would draw a sample of air into the glass cylinder, and if it
could be electrically ignited to expel a cork in a small explosion, then
the air contained methane. Elsewhere, people were learning about
bacteria, so the bad air theory was on the way out. But the malaria
pistol, according to Burke, became an inspiration for the internal
combustion engine.
http://www.mahalo.com/james-burke-connections-episode-6

yrs,
Stan