[Humanist] 23.408 events: digital diasporas

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 2 08:56:40 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:38:22 -0500
        From: Scott Kushner <scott.kushner at gmail.com>
        Subject: CFP -- Digital Diasporas: Distances, Cultures, and Languages (ACLA 2010, April 1-4, New Orleans)

CALL FOR PAPERS
Digital Diasporas: Distances Cultures, and Languages

American Comparative Literature Association 2010 Meeting
April 1-4, 2010, New Orleans, La.

Despite the continued existence of the book, the newspaper, and the
scholarly journal, digital humanists are confronted with the sneaking
suspicion that the internet is somehow different, a vast new space
that mixes up our identities, our politics, and our languages.
Networked texts give comparative literature the opportunity to ask:
what exactly are we comparing? What kind of a diaspora is it when we
can simultaneously be here, there, everywhere, and nowhere? Who is
spreading out, where are they spreading to and from, and what might
organize their itineraries? Finally, how do these texts, spaces,
subjects, movements, and cultures coexist with and modify earlier
media regimes?

This seminar will address aspects of internet culture that cross,
crush, redefine, and/or reinforce borders; that eradicate and/or
extend notions of distance; that legitimate, destabilize, and/or
invent linguistic practices. Potential topics include (but are
certainly not limited to) blogs, Twitter feeds, YouTube, Facebook, SMS
and mobile telephony, listservs, MMORPGs, lurkers, activists, hacking,
art, affinity groups, citizenship, affect, nationality, gender, race,
class, geographies, histories, literacies. Work representing all
theoretical inclinations is welcome.

Submit 250-word abstracts by November 13 at
http://www.acla.org/acla2010.  Be sure to select the Digital Diasporas
seminar when submitting.  Please contact Scott Kushner
(scott.kushner at gmail.com) with any questions.

Please distribute this CFP to any colleagues who might be interested.