[Humanist] 23.407 devices prior to uses?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 2 08:55:43 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 07:54:26 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: devices prior to uses

I'm interested in collecting a few examples of devices, physical or
otherwise, that were invented prior to any practical application, or
invented for one purpose but found eventually to have another. Also I
would like to know about visionary inventions, by which I mean those
inventions whose eventual application was envisioned but which at the
time could not be realised.

Thanks for any suggestions.