[Humanist] 23.14 events: language & automata theory; art history

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue May 12 06:59:05 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Gardiner, Hazel" <hazel.gardiner at kcl.ac.uk>              (26)
        Subject: CHArt (Computers and the History of Art) 2009 Conference
                Bursaries

  [2]   From:    "carlos.martin at urv.cat" <carlos.martin at urv.cat>            (5)
        Subject: LATA 2010: bids for venue

        Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 07:46:36 +0100
        From: "Gardiner, Hazel" <hazel.gardiner at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: CHArt (Computers and the History of Art) 2009 Conference Bursaries

Hello Willard, A further announcement if you wouldn't mind circulating this to humanist.

(incidentally I bought a copy of The Same and Not the Same - although I've not had a chance to look at it yet..)

Best wishes

Hazel

CHArt is pleased to announce that we will be able to offer a small number of  bursaries to assist doctoral students selected to present papers at the 2009 CHArt conference with their conference fees.

The bursary scheme has been set up in memory of Helene Roberts.

The Call for Papers is appended below (Deadline for submissions 30 May 2009)

- CALL FOR PAPERS - CALL FOR PAPERS - CALL FOR PAPERS -

OBJECT AND IDENTITY IN A DIGITAL AGE

The CHArt (Computers and the History of Art) Twenty-Fifth Annual Conference

Thursday 12 - Friday 13 November 2009, Birkbeck, University of London

We live in a time when our identities are increasingly fractured, networked, virtualised and distributed. The same appears to be true of our things. Objects are becoming more contingent, reconfigurable, distributable and immaterial.

For the 25th anniversary CHArt conference we are looking for papers that engage with these questions in relation to art practice, production, consumption, representation and display. We are interested in new notions of the identity of the artist, including those involving collaboration and anonymity; new conceptions and ontologies of the art object, as processual, virtual, or hybrid; new means of consumption and reception, whether in galleries and museums, in public spaces, or over networks of broadcast and narrowcast; and the challenges these transformations bring to the display of art and to its curation and access.

We also welcome papers looking at earlier parallel transformations such as, for example, those brought about by photography, or developments in printmaking.

We welcome contributions from all sections of the CHArt community: art historians, artists, architects and architectural theorists and historians, curators, conservators, scientists, cultural and media theorists, archivists, technologists, educationalists and philosophers.

Please email a three to four hundred word synopsis of the proposed paper with brief biographical information (no more than 200 words) of presenter/s by 30 May 2009 to Hazel Gardiner (hazel.gardiner at kcl.ac.uk).

*Please note that submissions exceeding the stated word count will not be considered*

Dr Charlie Gere
Chair, CHArt

CHArt (www.chart.ac.uk)
c/o Centre for Computing in the Humanities
Kings College, University of London
26 – 29 Drury Lane
London
WC2B 5RL

- CALL FOR PAPERS - CALL FOR PAPERS - CALL FOR PAPERS –