[Humanist] 23.10 various: Wolfram-Alpha; trends in e-book publishing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri May 8 07:08:34 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    amsler at cs.utexas.edu                                      (34)
        Subject: Wolfram-Alpha: Web-based numeric Question-Answering

  [2]   From:    amsler at cs.utexas.edu                                      (24)
        Subject: Trends in e-book publishing

        Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 11:36:14 -0500
        From: amsler at cs.utexas.edu

The first news story I read about this was so badly garbled by the
reporter who didn't have a clue as to what was new about it that I
almost discounted the whole project, but fortunately someone pointed
me to Doug Lenat's excellent review of what Stephen Wolfram (creator
of the Mathematica software) is about to go public with on the web.

http://semanticuniverse.com/blogs-doug-lenat-i-was-positively-impressed-wolfram-alpha.html

It's quite logical that automating the retrieval of numeric data
answers from existing information on the web could be done. It is also
quite logical that a computer can perform calculations over sets of
numeric values quite easily i.e., we call it a spreadsheet). The time
may have arrived when combining both tasks in one web-accessible
software application will become available.

So, we'll go from being able to find out how much taller the Eiffel
Tower is than the Washington Monument by downloading the two Wikipedia
articles, finding the heights and doing the math ourselves to just
asking the question directly and having the answer computed for us.
You can't store all the possible answers or questions---you have to be
able to compute them. For example, suppose you wanted to know, "What
man-made structure was the tallest on Earth for the longest period of
time?" That's tricky as you'd need to know both the dates and heights
for the tallest man-made structures, and then calculate the
differences in their dates of existence. (My guess would be the
Pyramids in Egypt?). But it could get harder if you specified yet
another limit, say "What man-made structures were the tallest on Earth
for more than 50 years?" Now, the playing field is leveled for modern
construction and the work load is higher.

Numeric questions are within the grasp of full automation far more
readily than questions whose answers are entirely textual ("What
fruits were known to colonists at Jamestown? or "Where were bananas
available in the 17th century?)

True numeric question answering may be about to appear (rather than
(1) looking up the words and retrieving the best matching text pages
(i.e., a browser search) or (2) looking for a match to a previously
stored question string.