[Humanist] 22.659 cfp: is logic universal?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Mar 30 08:00:19 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:52:27 +0100
        From: Jean-Yves Beziau <jyb at ufc.br>
        Subject: Is logic universal? Call for papers

Is logic universal?
Call for papers
Special issue of the journal Logica Universalis (Birkhauser/Springer)
http://www.birkhauser.ch/LU

There will be a special issue of the journal logica universalis
dedicated to the question "Is logic universal?"

Many questions are connected to this issue:
1. Do all human beings have the same capicity of reasoning?
Does a man, a woman, a child, a papuan, a yuppie, reason in the same way?
2. Does reasoning evolve?
Did human beings  reason in the same way two centuries ago?
In the future will human beings reason in the same way?
Did computers change our way to reason?
Is a mathematical proof independent of time and culture ?
3. Do we reason in different ways depending on the situation?
Do we use the same logic for everyday life, physics, economy?
4. Do the different systems of logic reflect the diversity of reasonings?
5. Is there any absolute true way of reaoning ?

Any contibutions dedicated to one aspects of the question "Is logic
universal?" is welcome.
Submit your paper to
universal.logic at ufc.br
before  August 31st 2009