[Humanist] 22.635 looking back

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Mar 20 07:29:47 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Siobhan King <Siobhan.King at oag.govt.nz>                   (52)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist]  22.633 looking back

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (41)
        Subject: being reminded of origins

        Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:38:29 +1300
        From: Siobhan King <Siobhan.King at oag.govt.nz>

"The only real difference here between print and internet production is speed of production."

Funny you should say that, now I think of it, it is odd that I never came across an early modern print version of Google, I couldn't pick out metadata generated by the 1st Earl of Shaftesbury in a tag cloud to save my life and I never did find a copy of "The Fable of the Bees" that allowed me to simply poke the page with my finger and automatically produce before my eyes contemporaneous pamphlets on charity schools but that's probably just my lack of appreciation of history.

Hypertextuality is a fundamental difference between internet production and text production. I may have glossed over the nuances of print history for the purpose of brevity, but at least I didn't overlook a quintessential characteristic of the internet because I was too focussed making an analogy with the past.

<eom>
Siobhan King