[Humanist] 22.620 looking back

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Mar 16 07:08:25 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                      (13)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 22.616 looking back

  [2]   From:    "Miran Hladnik, Siol" <miran.hladnik at guest.arnes.si>      (12)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 22.615 looking back

  [3]   From:    Siobhan King <Siobhan.King at oag.govt.nz>                   (45)

        Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:01:59 -0400
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>

I agree, Renata, that new technologies are significantly different
from previous ones.  Our ambitions for, and attitude toward, these
technologies is not significantly different from the past.  I'm
assuming, of course, that those discussing technology on this forum
are not engaged in the development of these technologies themselves
but are primarily concerned with technology from a humanities
standpoint.  I would agree that knowledge of past technology is only
marginally significant for the development of future technology.  That
does not tell us anything, however, about whether or not these
technologies are useful or desirable or what our attitude toward them
should be.  The fact that we can do something does not mean that we
should.  Study of the past gives us tools to think about these issues.

Jim R