[Humanist] 23.115 programming

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jun 30 08:07:15 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Elijah Meeks <elijahmeeks at gmail.com>                      (63)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.114 programming: fears and blocks

  [2]   From:    Tamara Lopez <tamara.lopez at kcl.ac.uk>                     (24)
        Subject: programming: another perspective on blocks

  [3]   From:    Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>                            (1)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.111 programming: fears and blocks

  [4]   From:    lachance at chass.utoronto.ca                                (22)
        Subject: Code for coders

        Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:07:26 -0700
        From: Elijah Meeks <elijahmeeks at gmail.com>

I was specific.  I pointed out NetHack, which is a 22-year old game,
with freely available source code for perusal and is as strange,
random and complex as any high gothic novel (You can check it out on
Wikipedia, though the synopsis will only hint at the strangeness and
subtlety of the gameplay).  Games are analogous to fiction in writing,
whereas operating systems, spreadsheets and metadata collation
software is analogous to technical writing.  So if you're looking for
interesting coding, you should look to the right genre.  I'm sure
there are some great turns of phrase to be found in the corpus of
lawnmower assembly manuals, but I don't think they're a good
indication of the state of Western literature.

Granted, most modern, big budget games are as interesting as big
budget movies and books, but there's a real wealth of quirky,
strangely programmed and functioning games out there.  The art of
writing a game, most especially the older and smaller games, with
their connection to random numbers to represent chance, is clearly
similar to the creation of prose and poetry.  There are entire
sections of code in some of these games that never get performed
except under the most esoteric of circumstances, and there are
interesting emergent properties of the interacting game world that
capture the imagination of players and coders, regardless of user
input.

And yes, you can dip your feet into it with only a knowledge of XML or
Perl.  The game modification community has grown so large and the
modification of games has grown so pervasive that many companies
create specific entry points into modifying game content through
creation of XML files or writing simple scripts.

I'm not sure how you mean the question, "why would anyone use this
except for personal projects?" though.  What is the "use" of poetry or
literature?  How is a collection of the poetry of Emily Dickinson more
useful than the aforementioned lawnmower manual?  It's drudge work
writing a lawnmower manual, or an academic paper, but we don't claim
that therefore people shouldn't learn to write. If, however, one feels
that the writing of literature is of value and its structures should
be analyzed (And therefore understood to some meaningful extent) then
it would seem the same would apply to creative software and there
would be an incumbent need to be literate enough to analyze and
understand it.  You wouldn't blame a software engineer for not liking
poetry, but you'd likely think him an idiot if he claimed poetry did
not have the ability to pass along complex truths in the way that
software does and therefore that he didn't need to learn how to read.

This is a rather long and scattered response, but it's no longer clear
to me your exact criticism.  Is it that you think that low-level
programming languages don't allow for the creation of nuanced, complex
thought, or is it that you feel that code is goal-oriented and
utilitarian or is it simply that software is inherently boring?  I
believe I've addressed the first two and, as for the third, I think
that the all-pervasive nature of software militates against treating
it as an ignorable subject.  We have a basic expectation of literacy
due to the pervasive nature of writing, and I think that we should
have an equal expectation of software literacy.  So, whereas Dr.
McCarty's originally framed the question of software literacy (A term
I've used without defining, but which I assume involves a working
knowledge of creating software) in terms of fear, I feel it's more
related to underestimating the scope and value of software as
metaphor, creative work and tool.

Elijah Meeks
UC Merced