[Humanist] 23.92 programming for poets

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jun 19 08:49:25 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 07:15:08 +0100
        From: Harvey Quamen <hquamen at ualberta.ca>
        Subject: programming for digital humanists

Hi all:

I'm glad to hear that others have been thinking about ways to get
humanities students to program more. I've been teaching such a course
for the University of Alberta's Humanities Computing program for the
last few years and am happy to share some ideas. Hope these can
generate some good conversation. (Feel free to reply on- or off-list,
but I'm on the road right now, so may be a bit slow in reply....)

My course focuses on web delivery technologies -- specifically, a
MySQL database with some kind of HTML + CSS front end. I use PHP as a
scripting language, only because it's so readily available on various
host servers. I like how PHP accommodates both old-style "procedural"
programming as well as object-oriented coding. It's a language that
accommodates the students as they grow. I'm more or less language-
agnostic (and am leaning increasingly towards Ruby), although I used
to teach Perl, but didn't really like the "line noise" it generates.
Students have a hard time reading it.

Students these days feel quite at home on the web, of course, and have
some curiosity about how it works. Consequently, I find that web
scripting is an easier sell than, say, text analysis or algorithms.
The other popular draw is game design, and our computer science
department offers such a course (open to non-computer-science majors,
too!).

I've eliminated almost all math from my web scripting course. Right
away, I show the students examples of HTML and XML and convince them
that computers today are all about texts, not numbers. (I often cite
Danny Hillis's claim at the end of "The Pattern on the Stone" that --
bad paraphrase follows -- "if the original computer scientists labeled
the two states X and Y, we'd say that computers do everything with
texts, not numbers.") Consequently, about 90% of the built-in PHP
functions I teach my students are string functions. I tell my students
that they'll soon be able to "slice and dice" texts with ease, and
that that skill will be foundational for the digital humanist scholar
of the next few decades.  For students who have "math phobia," this is
welcome news.

We spend a few beginning weeks on HTML + CSS (with some XML thrown in,
depending on the audience and time), followed by about three weeks on
MySQL (learning just enough SQL to squeak through) and then spend the
remainder of the semester on PHP. We meet in a lab, so every student
has a computer. Typically, I'll give a lecture explaining the
concepts, then we'll do an in-class work-along exercise or two, and
then I'll send them off with some homework. They have a weekly script
to write, plus they have to do a certain number of "5-Minute
Exercises" (10 for an "A," 8 for a "B," etc.) which emphasize the
concepts they've been learning -- simple things like printing an array
as an HTML table, or reading from a file or even doing a very simple
web scrape. (Some are online but most are in a course packet.)

My favourite exercise -- and one that gets them over the introductory
hump, so to speak -- is checking to see if a set of strings are
palindromes or not. Cruelly, I don't clue them in to some of the
functions that would make that easier, so they solve it on their own
and even start comparing their various algorithms' efficiency, though
they don't quite have the vocabulary to do it.

In the end, each student produces a message board to which visitors
may post and read previous postings. Each student needs to add one
self-chosen "special feature" to his or her board -- maybe having a
membership login or allowing certain HTML in postings (via either a
whitelist or a blacklist), or offering up different skins depending on
user preference, etc. The scripting makes sense to them in this
context as a problem-solving step, or as the "glue" that holds the web
interface to the database. And since there isn't just one script, the
students don't think in terms of a "killer app" but rather in a series
of small, concrete, solvable scripting problems.

It's been difficult to find a good textbook and even PHP + MySQL books
are typically not pitched correctly for my students.  Fortunately,
O'Reilly has a great series for beginners called "Head First." I
recently served as a technical editor for the "Head First PHP & MySQL"
book and it has some terrific material in it, including chapters on
some sophisticated stuff like regular expressions and programming to
the YouTube API.  It'll likely serve here on out as the textbook for
my class. Have no fear -- I get no royalties from it ... :-(

One year a few students banded together and we did a second semester
of more advanced topics as an independent study. There, I covered some
object-oriented concepts and we wrote some web scrapers.

I have some online materials from the last course offering at <http://www.huco.ualberta.ca/~hquamen/resources/
 >.

I'd be quite happy to help start collecting some resources -- even
putting together an online wiki or something so we can share ideas.
I'm on the road for another 10 days, though, so have no fear if I
reply slowly.

-- Harvey Quamen
Humanities Computing
University of Alberta