[Humanist] 23.90 twittering resistance

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jun 19 08:48:24 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:16:23 -0500
        From: William Allen <wallen at astate.edu>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.88 Twittering resistance

The State Department diminution of Twitter's impact on the world stage is
most likely a wish. The power of citizen-to-citizen and people-to people
communication on important issues of the day have the power to move decision
from state departments to people in the street. Given the poor performance
of state departments in advancing issues important to human beings, I
applaud the earlier decision and dismiss the later one. I follow with great
interest Twitters' #iranelection. The entertainment media have no hold on
the ground; Twitter is the only place for information--and yes, it is up to
the reader to decipher what is happening. Thank goodness we have one medium
close to the events.

As one tweet told us today, "140 characters is a novel when you are being
shot at."
_____
William Allen
Prof. Art History

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Humanist Discussion Group <