[Humanist] 23.87 research on text & maps? mss edn in TEI?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jun 18 06:09:07 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Oyvind Eide <oyvind.eide at kcl.ac.uk>                       (52)
        Subject: Input for PhD project: Texts and maps

  [2]   From:    Marion Lamé <marionlame at YAHOO.FR>                        (10)
        Subject: digital edition of manuscripts in TEI

        Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:56:00 +0200
        From: Oyvind Eide <oyvind.eide at kcl.ac.uk>

A few weeks ago, I started a PhD project at Centre for Computing in
the Humanities, King's College London. The project is titled "The area
told as a story. An inquiry into the relationship between verbal and
map-based expressions of geographical information." A short
description of the project:

"In modern European societies, maps are seen as the natural way to
communicate about geography. This is different in other historical
periods. In the project description I show some examples of historical
periods in which maps are not used very much, although they are known.
In my opinion, this lack of use is not based on a lack of cartographic
tools or knowledge only. I think there are other reasons why people
choose to use verbal texts to communicate about geography, reasons
that may be difficult to see for people living in a modern map based
society. In the proposed PhD project, I will look for such reasons by
trying to find examples of verbal texts being superior to maps.

The source material for the project will be a document from the 18th
century: Major Schnitler's border examination protocols. The digitally
available, TEI encoded textual version of this material will be used
as the source for a database. This database will represent a model of
the geographical information I read from the text.

This model will be a version of the geographical information in the
source text, expressed in a formal language. The model will also store
contradictory facts if and when they exist. Possible contradiction can
be found using rules of calculation that will be developed on top of
the model. The model will be used to investigate my hypothesis by
trying to express the information in the model as maps.

Based on the results of this research, I will discuss the possible
existence of geographical structures and features found in the model
that can not be expressed on maps without significant loss of meaning.
This way, I hope to gain new knowledge about how people express
themselves in verbal texts about geography, as opposed to map based
expressions. In the longer term, I hope this will help us
understanding more about the reasons why some cultures are very map
oriented, whereas others know about maps, but only use them in very
limited areas."

The project will have to cover several research fields, and could have
covered even more. I will use Lessing's work on the relationship
between poetry and painting (Laokoon, 1766), and I will use modeling
as a tool. Anthropology, geography, history, narratology and
linguistics are among the other areas relevant for this work. Maybe
the question should be what is not relevant.

In order to help me covering as much as possible of the research I
should relate to, it would be most helpful if anyone has references to
works, or research areas, addressing specifically the relationship
(differences) between maps and verbal texts as means of expressing
geographical information.

It is probably best to do this off-list, then I will collect what I
get in a single email to the list.

Kind regards,

Øyvind Eide
PhD student