[Humanist] 23.85 programming for poets

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jun 18 06:04:55 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 08:17:04 -0400
        From: robert delius royar <r.royar at morehead-st.edu>
        Subject: 23.79 programming for poets?

Were I looking for such a course, I would wish it to teach me how to
program my text editor using its e-lisp language.  The editor I have used
for the last 15 years is XEmacs.  Before that for about two decades I
used Emacs and micro-based versions.  I believe that for a person who
studies and works with text it is sensible to rely on a program that was
designed to manipulate text in meaningful units.  I believe such
programs are analogous to spreadsheet programs for those who work with
numbers.

I would also want a robust and relatively simple, but mature language as
an external processor.  I depend on perl; it was easy to learn the basics,
having gone through BASIC, Franz Lisp, and C before it.  I maintain a
small web site for a non-profit organization.  I find that when I need it
to create dynamic content, provide automated updates to databases,
&c. that a perl application is either already available for it or
something I can code for myself.  I am constantly seeing break-in attempts
for other popular web-enabled languages (notably PHP) which makes me wary
of using those scripting languages and which makes me suspect that they
may teach new programmers poor habits (certainly possible with perl).

--
Dr. Robert Delius Royar <r.royar at morehead-st.edu>
Associate Professor of English, Morehead State University