[Humanist] 23.208 making a difference

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jul 31 10:11:05 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:08:11 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: closing down the world

To repeat a bit: in the book that I have just finished reading, The
Closed World, Paul N Edwards describes a "cyborg discourse" constituting
"the entire field of signifying or meaningful practices" related to
computing, "a way of knowledge, a background of assumptions and
agreements about how reality is to be interpreted and expressed,
supported by paradigmatic metaphors, techniques and technologies and
potentially embodied in social institutions" (34). He argues
persuasively that this discourse closed down, indeed sealed off the
world of those committed to it. Ronald Reagan's Strategic Defense
Initiative (a.k.a. Star Wars), publically proposed in 1983, supplies
quite a good example.

In June or July 1985 Brian Cantwell Smith (now at Toronto) read a paper,
"The Limits of Correctness", to the Symposium on Unintended Nuclear War,
   Fifth Congress of the International Physicians for the Prevention of
Nuclear War, in Budapest. In it he argues that the fundamental problem
and danger is the very notion of correctness, that is, of the
possibility that the world might be captured in a computational model of
it. In other words, as many have warned, models are as dangerous as they
are powerful: the good ones tend to seduce us into forgetting the
difference in principle and practice between any model and the thing
modelled. We slip down the slippery slope from "as if" to "is", many of
us without feeling a thing.

The history of computing, one might say, is a chronicle of models being
mistaken for and replaced by that which they model, i.e. of the world
being closed down by our mistaking constructions of it for reality. Our
research, one might say, consists in defamiliarizing those constructions
as soon as we ourselves make them. And that is the exit-door from the
closed, boring world, is it not?

In "Circular causality: The beginnings of an epistemology of
responsibility", Heinz von Foerster looks back at activities in the
decade from 1943-1953, during which -- WWII coming to its bloody end and
the Cold War beginning) the Macy Conferences on cybernetics took place.
(See Cybernetics/Kybernetik: The Macy Conferences 1946-1953, vol 1, ed.
Claus Pias, Diaphanes, 2003, pp. 11-17). "It is the decade", he wrote,
of a con-spiracy, a »breathing together«, amongst a score of curious,
fearless, articulate, ingenious and pragmatic dreamers who conformed in
letting diversity be their guide. I am fascinated by the stream of
concepts and insights, of invented relations and of others discovered,
of perceptions, thoughts and ideas, of questions unanswered and answered
that poured forth from these people." He writes about arriving in New
York in 1949 with very little English and some copies of a monograph he
had written, which he then proceeded to send to obvious places in hopes
of a job. He was summoned to Chicago, to the Department of
Neuropsychiatry of the Medical School, where "I meet the man who wanted
to know more: tall, lanky, a greyish beard, an inviting grin, and the
eyes; eyes to support the Greek notion of vision: it is not the light
that enters into, but sight that beams forth from the eyes, touching
with joy what they see. I meet Warren McCulloch." (11-12)

Now that is not a world closing down -- for that we must turn to his
account of Vienna in the mid 1940s -- but a world opening up. The same
people and same ideas are involved here as in Edwards' account of quite
the opposite situation. Wherein lies the difference?