[Humanist] 23.202 making a difference & the dematerializing book

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jul 30 07:05:05 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>          (156)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.199 on Grafton's dematerializing book

  [2]   From:    John Laudun <jlaudun at mac.com>                             (69)

  [3]   From:    Wendell Piez <wapiez at mulberrytech.com>                    (80)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.197 making a difference

  [4]   From:    Wendell Piez <wapiez at mulberrytech.com>                    (31)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.192 making a difference

  [5]   From:    Peter Batke <batke_p at hotmail.com>                         (16)
        Subject: Grafton

        Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 07:22:41 -0500
        From: Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>

I am struck by easily the metaphor of 'whoring after false gods' still
comes to our minds and how it is always right in some ways and wrong
in deeper ways. A sixteenth-century Italian, whose name I don't
recall, said that 'the pen is a virgin, the printing press a whore'.
Plato was more polite about the disadvantages of writing. But the
point is always the same: a tool that makes something easier and
faster is seen as a threat because it replaces hard-earned wisdom with
easy knowledge.

Similar arguments apply to statistics, perhaps with greater relevance.
I dimly remember an exchange in the New York Review of Books in which
Ian Hacking (I think) argued that people shouldn't use statistical
procedures if they don't understand the math.  And perhaps we will all
be ruined by those new thoughtless and split-second trading tools ...

But barring that event, Barnes' complaint is just another version of a
very old cost/benefit calculus. When an invention lowers the time cost
and difficulty of doing X,  the benefits of doing X more easily and
cheaply will be offset to some extent by using X recklessly or without
understanding.  What Barnes says about the TLG is just as true of the
Liddell and Scott print dictionary or of the OED, as you can see by
varying the quotation

The {TLG|LSJ|OED}  is a lovely little resource
(I think that's the word) and I use her all the time. But she's
strumpet-tongued: she flatters and she deceives. "What an enormous
knowledge you have, my young cock -- why not let me make a real
scholar of you?" And the young cock crows on his dung-hill: he can
cite anything and construe nothing.

Behind all this is the nightmare of mechanized learning. In Pope's
Dunciad and Goethe's Faust there are funny and eloquent evocations of
it. On the other hand, some of the people that Pope poked fun at look
quite good in retrospect. And everybody, including Barnes, proves by
his behaviour that the benefits exceed the costs: "I use her all the
time".  I won't go into the  gender aspects of all this: ancilla,
handmaid, handbook . . .

If we were all virtuous and living by the motto of 'per aspera ad
astra', every scholarly act would be the Heraclean choice of climbing
the mountain without rain gear or ropes. In the late fifties I was
very briefly employed by British Railroads, and my task was to add up
the milk and chocolate sales from vending machines. When I showed up
in the office I noticed an adding machine on the top of a bookshelf. I
asked "why don't you use this?"  I was told sternly that it would ruin
our math skills to use this machine and that the office used it only
to check results. That never struck me as a very plausible policy.