[Humanist] 23.194 survey on sustainable development

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jul 28 08:06:03 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 11:42:43 -0400
        From: Luis Gutierrez <luisgutierrez at peoplepc.com>
        Subject: A reminder: ESD Survey Version 1.6

Following is a reminder concerning a survey on education for sustainable development, sent in the hope of getting more replies. But first an answer to the question, what is the connection with the digital humanities?

The answer emerges from the following questions:

1. How can we show, via digital media, that humanity is at a turning point in its relationship to the human habitat?

    -- There are many excellent resources on this, with more emerging every day.

2. How can we motivate, via digital media, that citizens must support (via the democratic process) changes to the current system of economic incentives so as to remove/reduce incentives that lead to both short term gains and environmental damage, and replace them with a new system of economic incentives that lead to both short term well-being and long term sustainable development?

    -- There are practically no resources on this, and no prospects for more.

We are seeking answers to question 2.  In other words:

We know that economic incentives work.  We are researching for ways to redefine economic incentives so that they are more compatible with other goals such as human well-being (e.g., health of mind and body) as well as conservation of the human habitat.

Most researchers are of the opinion that people will not change lifestyles and consumption priorities until they are hit in the pocketbook.  If this is going to be the only way it works, it may be at the expense of much human suffering caused by environmental dislocations (e.g., global warming, climate change, etc.).

Therefore, we need to learn how to use digital media to motivate/encourage people to support (thus making it politically viable) changing the current set of economic incentives to a new set on economic incentives pursuant to both short term well-being -- redefined as being more, not having more -- and the long term survivability of human civilization.

And so the REMINDER.

The survey on education for sustainable development (ESD) is online.  Its objective is to gather an inventory of critical issuesthat frequently emerge in sustainable development.

The eight UNESCO themes are as follows:
1. Education for gender equality
2. Education for health promotion
3. Education for environmental stewardship
4. Education for rural development
5. Education for cultural diversity
6. Education for peace and human security
7. Education for sustainable urbanization
8. Education for sustainable consumption

The are 16 questions (2 questions per UNESCO theme) ... should take no
more than 30 minutes ... this is the link ....

http://tinyurl.com/movr9w

Please forward this message to colleagues who might be interested.

Take care,
-- Luis

Luis T. Gutierrez, PhD
Editor, PelicanWeb Journal of Sustainable Development
This is a monthly, free subscription, open access e-journal.
http://pelicanweb.org ~ pelican at pelicanweb.org