[Humanist] 23.190 making a difference

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Jul 26 09:34:51 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:29:32 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: making a difference

> "An empirical proposition can be tested" (we say). But how? and
> through what? What counts as its test? ... -- As if giving grounds
> did not come to an end sometime. But the end is not an ungrounded
> presupposition: it is an ungrounded way of acting. -- Ludwig
> Wittgenstein, On certainty, ed. Anscombe and von Wright, 109-110

In Humanist 23.186 Martin Mueller relays a conversation with a colleague
who wanted to know if all this digital stuff that we push on the world
has made an important difference. Martin cited classical philology as a
good test-case, perhaps the best we have for textual computing given the
amount of work done for classicists and by classicists in the digital
medium. He noted that there's no excuse easily cited to explain a
negative answer: we have the resources and many tools; we've had the
time to use and explore them. So what gives or has given?

Martin is exercising a genre of questioning nearly as old as the
activity being questioned: such callings-to-account began at least as
early as 1962 -- not as prematurely as you might think -- and have
recurred through the years many, many times. Tiresomely so, an impatient
person would declare; curiously so, a more thoughtful person might. The
answers have *never* been conclusive, but the questioning has not
ceased. So is this questioning merely a nervous tic of a troubled field
of enquiry? (One wonders, what field or discipline is not troubled these
days?) A sign of a "degenerating research programme", to use Imre
Lakatos' expression? A reminder that we really do need to develop our
defensive rhetorical skills in the face of challenges? Or what?

Let me ask another question instead: what exactly would serve as an
acceptable, persuasive answer? What would be the kind of evidence we'd
find conclusive? Martin wisely brushes aside the curiously recurrent
claims to revolutionary effect. "I don't think", he says, "that
significant change is necessarily measured in dramatic
breakthroughs. It is more likely to happen in slow, subtle, and
pervasive ways." Let's say, as I think too, that this is the case. Then
what sort of studies would we need to bring these subtle ways of change
to the fore? Histories in the sociology of knowledge, I'd think. Some of
us have been saying for some time that what's happening in digital
projects and departments needs to be studied sociologically, as the
activities in scientific laboratories have been studied, by the likes of
Steve Woolgar, Bruno Latour, Karin Knorr Cetina and others. We do need
to know about the "epistemic culture" we've been creating and how we've
been modifying the others. It seems the classicists would like to know
whether they're different these days as a result.

But sociological methods have their limits. Rather than get caught up
solely in trying to measure whether a difference has been made, and if
so what it is, I think we should simultaneously challenge the
assumptions behind the statement that this difference "ought to be
measurable in some fashion", as Martin says. Perhaps it can be measured.
But is that the point, or the sole point? What difference has classics
made to the world in the last 60 years? Do classicists, or scholars of
any stripe, think that being evaluated by utilitarian measure is the
right way to assess their worth to humanity? Are we so far gone down the
downward path to the bottom line that we can think in no other way? What
happened to wanting to know, to intellectual curiosity? What sort of
conception of the human being are we left with if the only reason for
opening the eyes is to find the food to feed the body? Or, worse
perhaps, to feed someone else's and get a burp for thanks.

This is not to say that the differences made by digital resources and
tools are not important, even vital to know about. Part of the reason
for needing to know about them is that they are hardly all positive
differences. Some of them are seriously otherwise. Books such as Paul
Edwards' The Closed World: Computers and the Politics of Discourse in
Cold War America (MIT, 1996) and David Golumba's The Cultural Logic of
Computation (Harvard, 2009) -- read them tonight -- chime with Joseph
Weizenbaum's darkest assessments and give more reason to pay attention
to Langdon Winner's warnings. One of the big problems we have is that
professionally, in our accounting of our reasons for being, we pay
attention only to our own little gardens, as if we were not citizens of
this or that country, as if what is reported on the 7 o'clock news has
nothing to do with us, as if we don't have lives. So scholarly curiosity
becomes something not even we understand and value, since we're so busy
packaging deliverables for the Man. We then don't teach being curious to
our students, who have been told to expect "transferrable skills", and
so assess us in those terms. Is it any wonder that they, faced *at best*
with the prospect of being like their parents, get restless, or worse?

Yes, we in the digital humanities are useful to others. We know this.
What effects our usefulness has had needs to be studied, because these
effects, or certainly the important ones, are long-term, quietly
progressing, subtle. But WHY do we do what we do -- rather than
something else for which utilitarian arguments don't need to be made,
like investment banking?

Comments?