[Humanist] 23.166 fears of computing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jul 17 07:03:06 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:28:43 -0600
        From: Sterling Fluharty <phdinhistory at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.162 dull and sharp

Willard,

Your last paragraph caught my attention.  Are you saying that you are
looking for someone who might be thought of as Michael Crichton's
predecessor of the 1950s?  Or is it not the fears expressed about computers
in early science fiction that interests you?  I have done some analysis of
book sales in history to figure out when history became boring for the
public.  From what I can tell, history had a golden age in the 1950s and
1960s, and has become increasingly dull for the public since then.  I hadn't
considered whether there was a connection between the popularity of history
and the heady days of early computing during those golden years.  Perhaps
you have some thoughts on the matter.

Sterling Fluharty
University of New Mexico