[Humanist] 23.165 dull and sharp

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jul 17 07:00:55 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:39:57 -0400
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.162 dull and sharp

Paulo:

> I find extraordinary Jim's remark:
> "Some people are more interested in people,
> Some people are more interested in things,
> Some people are more interested in concepts."
>
> My initial background stems from classical studies and I was convinced
> that culture was the ultimate authority in society. Unfortunately fashions
> changes and I find high-culture representatives more concerned on things
> than on tenets and knowledge.

Why do you find my remark extraordinary?  I find it obvious and simplistic.

Yes, if you've studied the classics, you will be studying the works of
those who believed culture is the ultimate authority in society.  But
even then, that belief was probably not true of most people, just
those educated enough to read and write.

Jim R