[Humanist] 23.151 Graceful Degradation

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jul 11 09:13:20 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:44:20 -0400
        From: Bethany Nowviskie <bethany at virginia.edu>
        Subject: "Graceful Degradation" survey

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Graceful Degradation: Managing Digital Humanities Projects in Times of
Transition and Decline

First announced at the Digital Humanities 2009 conference, the
"Graceful Degradation" survey is now open at:

http://graceful-degradation.questionpro.com/

This is a survey of the digital humanities community -- broadly
conceived -- on project management in times of transition and decline,
and what we see as the causes and outcomes of those times.  We invite
participation by anyone who has worked on a digital project in or
related to the humanities.

Decline is a pressing issue for digital scholarship because of the
tendency of our projects to be open ended. One could argue that
digital projects are, by nature, in a continual state of transition or
decline. What happens when the funding runs out, or the original
project staff move on or are replaced? What happens when intellectual
property rests with a collaborator or an institution that does not
wish to continue the work? How, individually and as a community, do we
weather changes in technology, the patterns of academic research, the
vagaries of our sponsoring institutions?

"Graceful Degradation" is being conducted by Bethany Nowviskie of the
University of Virginia Scholars' Lab in the United States and Dot
Porter of the Digital Humanities Observatory in Ireland.  The survey
will run through September 2009, when initial results will be
presented during a poster session at Digital Resources in the
Humanities and Arts in Belfast. Full summary results will be presented
and published in summer 2010. All responses are held confidential,
unless specific permission to identify people and projects has been
granted. Participants will have the option to grant this permission at
the end of the survey.

We encourage your participation and look forward to sharing the
results of the survey!

Please contact degrade.gracefully at gmail.com if you have any questions.

Bethany Nowviskie, MA Ed, Ph.D
Director, Digital Research & Scholarship, UVA Library
Associate Director, Scholarly Communication Institute
http://lib.virginia.edu/scholarslab/http://uvasci.org/