[Humanist] 23.136 events: humanities and computer science

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jul 6 17:58:24 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 16:57:11 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: InterFace 2009

InterFace 2009:
International symposium to bring humanities and technology closer
9 — 10 July 2009
University of Southampton

A symposium which will provide a forum through which researchers can
learn about the latest developments in both technology and the
humanities will be hosted by the University of Southampton [Wednesday
and Thursday this week].

InterFace, the first annual international symposium aimed at improving
the cross-fertilisation between technology and the humanities, which
will be hosted by the University's School of Electronics and Computer
Science (ECS) and the School of Humanities on 9-10 July 2009, has
invited delegates involved in both disciplines to come together to share
ideas.

The submissions, a third of which are from an international audience,
will be presented in Lighting Talks and poster sessions and fall broadly
into a number of themes

One theme is hypermedia technology for traditional media, which looks at
the technology needed to read ancient manuscripts, with a novel idea
being the possibility of digitizing all the surviving materials for the
early Gospel of St John in Latin.

Another theme looks at automated and assistive translation and considers
issues such as machine translations for the Classics and the
difficulties of switching alphabets.

'The fact that we have themes like this from a large international
audience challenges the Anglo-centricity of the World Wide Web,' said
Leif Isaksen at ECS. 'We really need to seriously consider how all of
this is used on a global level.'

The underlying theme of InterFace generally is how society and
technology influence each other and will be the subject of keynotes by
Professor Dame Wendy Hall from ECS and Professor Willard McCarty from
the Centre for Computing in Humanities at King’s College London.

This theme will also address the convergence of technologies such as
phones, computers and cameras, social networking and privacy, how
students use this technology and the fact that elderly people tend to be
excluded from these sites due to their inability to embrace the technology.

'We are delighted with the response we have had,' said Leif. 'It really
hits a broad range of interesting synergies and should stimulate some
interesting discussions.'

http://www.interface09.org.uk

[Note that summaries of the two keynote addresses are available on
AlphaGalileo, www.alphagalileo.org/, under Events for 9 July.]