[Humanist] Re: 23.131 from 'as if' to 'is'

Willard McCarty willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Jul 5 10:13:30 CEST 2009

No argument from me against Gray Kochhar-Lindgren's galloping as-if. But
I ask again: does computing speed the journey, make it harder for us to
think that one of the waystations is the end of the road?

There's no question that we're incapable of construing some state of the
machine as final (e.g. as if putting up a static website were basically
the same as publishing a book on paper, however cheaper and less
prestigious). But the physical characteristics of the form we use affect
us; they constitute a difference that makes a difference. Is our grip on
  finality loosening as a result?

Let me ask a further question. If our grip is loosening, then how now
are we going wrong?