[Humanist] 23.129 from 'as if' to 'is'?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jul 4 11:37:45 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 10:34:29 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: from 'as if' to 'is'

At the beginning of his remarks leading off the 8th Macy Conference on
Cybernetics, 23 March 1950, Ralph Gerard observed as follows:

> It seems to me, in looking back over the history of this group, that
> we started our discussions and sessions in the "as if" spirit.
> Everyone was delighted to express any idea that came into his mind,
> whether it seemed silly or certain or merely a stimulating guess that
> would affect someone else. We explored possibilities for all sorts of
> "ifs." Then, rather sharply it seemed to me, we began to talk in an
> "is" idiom. We were saying much the same things, but now saying them
> as if they were so. I remembered a definition of pregnancy: "the
> result of taking seriously something poked at one in fun," and
> wondered if we had become pregnant and were in some danger of
> premature delivery. ("Some of the Problems Concerning Digital Notions
 > in the Central Nervous System", in Heinz von Foerster, Margaret Mead
 > and Hans Lukas Teuber, eds., Cybernetics: Circular Causal and
 > Feedback Mechanisms in Biological and Social Systems (New York:
 > Josiah Macy, Jr. Foundation, 1951, p. 11)

This slippage from 'as if' to 'is' must be among the most common
conceptual errors we make. I wonder, given the essential instability of
all computational models, are we any better off than we once were?

I suppose not, actually, since the basic problem is not with the things
we make but in how we look on them. Or does that computational
instability feed back into our reasoning processes and so helps to keep
them in motion?

Comments?