[Humanist] 22.469 N American sources for commentary

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jan 22 07:12:42 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:19:24 -0700
        From: Mark Davies <Mark_Davies at byu.edu>
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 22.460 N American sources for commentary?

> I would be most grateful for recommendations of specifically North
> American periodicals and journals that for the period 1945-1990 would be
> likely to yield commentary on computing.

The TIME Corpus (http://corpus.byu.edu/time) has 100 million words from the 1920s-2000s. There are almost 12,000 tokens for [computer], going back to the 1940s.

Via this interface, one can also see the frequency of any word or phrase over time (by decade and year). One can also easily find collocates (including by time periods) -- which provides useful insight into possible shifts in the usage of the words and phrases (without having to look at each of the thousands of tokens individually).

For a nice, quick example, try:

WORD(S): [computer]
CONTEXT: *
MIN FREQ: [5] (checked)
SECTIONS: Yes

Best,

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
Web: davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **