[Humanist] 22.438 Google Earth in scholarship

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jan 10 08:20:07 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:49:20 +0000
        From: "Dunn, Stuart" <stuart.dunn at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 22.434 scholarship about Google Earth?

Hi Ruth,

There are *plenty* of blogs on this subject (a generally well-regarded example being Ogle Earth - http://www.ogleearth.com/), but two publications that might be of use to you are:

L. Ullmann and Y. Gorokhovich: 'Google Earth and some practical applications for the field of archaeology', CSA Newsletter Vol. XVIII, No. 3 (2006), published online: http://csanet.org/newsletter/winter06/nlw0604.html

M. F. Goodchild: 'What does Google Earth mean for the Social Sciences?', in M. Dodge, M. MacDerby and M. Turner (eds.) 2008: Geographic Visualization. John Wiley & Sons: 11-23.

By way of a background discussion of the role of Google Earth in scholarship more generally you mind find...

A. Scharl: 'Towards the Geospatial Web: Media platforms for managing geotagged knowledge repositories', in A. Scharl and K. Tochtermann (eds.) 2007: The Geospatial Web: How geobrowsers, social software and the Web 2.0 are shaping the network society. Springer: 3-14.

...useful.

Good luck, and I would be interested in any conclusions you come to on this subject.

-Stuart

-----------------------

Dr Stuart Dunn
Research Fellow