[Humanist] 22.427 innards

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jan 7 07:34:48 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:07:57 -0600
        From: Stephen Ramsay <sramsay at unlserve.unl.edu>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 22.425 printing, medicine and self-knowledge

On Jan 6, 2009, at 1:01 AM, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

> Sappol begins his catalogue with the observation that all of us,
> however
> medically educated, if at all, carry around with us a mental map of
> the
> inside of our bodies. Most of us know the names of our organs and at
> least approximately where they are. The difference this makes to how
> we
> relate to the world is well brought out by the ecologist Paul
> Shepard in
> his remarkable book The Others: How Animals Made Us Human (1996).
> But, I
> suppose further, the degree to which our physiological self-knowledge
> was enhanced and intensified by the printing-press-enabled ideas of
> Vesalius must be very great indeed.

Consider, too, how an understanding of the innards of a computer
changes one's relationship to it.

My students are usually astonished to discover how a register machine
works, and their reaction is something like, "Is that all?"  Of
course, it isn't all.  Computers, like bodies, are very complex
things.  But when I work with computers, I am forever demystifying
their innards in my mind -- re-schematizing them into abstract (and
sometimes, quite concrete) models.  Always, I am saying to myself (as
I say to my students): "It's a simple thing, really."

Joseph Campbell once remarked that he would have no trouble
mythologizing the personal computer.  I don't think the wider culture
does either, and I daily see examples of the mythopoetic computer
being treated as the body once was: the site of strange energies and
inscrutable movements.  We even refer to it using language mostly
reserved for the strange and marvelous: web, cloud, ether, space . . .

Steve

--
Stephen Ramsay
Assistant Professor