[Humanist] 22.421 identity of a painting?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Jan 4 08:32:40 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 07:31:48 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: identity of painting?

This is a request for any ideas toward identifing a modernist painting I
saw in the Museum of Modern Art or perhaps the Metropolitan (New York)
years ago. I won't bother to explain why, or what this painting has to
do with the digital humanities tangentially, though it does fit neatly
into an argument I am constructing.

My memory of it is as follows: 20C, Russian, depicting a little girl in
various stages of development sitting on and suspended from branches of
a tree which turns into or is identified with aspects of her anatomy,
esp her central nervous system & circulatory system. I saw this painting
so long ago that I cannot at all be sure that aspects of it have been
created subsequently in my imagination. A Google image search has
yielded thousands of images, only the first 40 pages of which I've
browsed through.

Many thanks.