[Humanist] 23.243 at the BBQ

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Aug 23 07:47:08 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                      (32)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.242 yet another BBQ

  [2]   From:    Wendell Piez <wapiez at mulberrytech.com>                   (102)

  [3]   From:    Alan Galey <galey.lists at gmail.com>                       (103)

        Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:02:05 -0400
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>

Williard --

Digital humanities is never about computing.  It's about the product
of computing -- what we can do with these texts, and how accessible we
can make these texts, now that they have been digitized.  In other
words, it's about the dissemination of the text, and what that
dissemination allows us to do with it.  Much more time is involved in
doing word searches in physical books than in digitized ones, so
digitizing a book facilitates, say, word studies.  But if the material
qualities of the work itself are an object of study, as in the case of
William Blake's illuminated books, then digitizing it still does not
provide a substitute for the physical presence of the text.  If a
digitized version of Blake's illuminated books came out that was in
highly detailed and closely rendered 3D, so that I could zoom in and
rotate the image 360 degrees, front to back, to see the depth of
impressions, gouge marks left on the paper, the texture left by the
practice of color printing, etc....that'd really be something.
Otherwise, it's just another flat image of a Blake print -- same thing
I'd get in a reproduction of the print in a book, by the way -- and to
get the rest of it I need to see the originals.

So, no,for most people, why talk about computing at all beyond telling
us about the texts now made more widely available and the
functionality of their presentation?   If I were involved in
digitizing texts at the moment and could learn a few tricks to
increase speed and simplicity, the details would matter then.

Jim R