[Humanist] 23.238 the artist's attitude

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Aug 20 06:27:36 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:27:46 -0700
        From: Randy Radney <radney at mac.com>
        Subject: [Humanist] 23.230 gene poetry and the artist's attitude

In reference to your comment: ..."The problem of re-enactment, or
simulation, in much of the
humanities is, I'd say, a much greater problem, and so it makes sense
that we'd be finding this statement fresh now with regards to our
interpretative work."...

I assume that the twin factors of choice and intentionality
(especially when multiple individuals are engaged in group activities)
supply cause for your claim that simulation is a 'greater problem' in
the humanities. The context of human action (in my speciality,
linguistics) can be simplified (as in, say, transformational-
generative linguistic theory), but guarantees that such simplification
has captured the essentials of context in a way that makes simulation
genuine are hard to come by.

One possibility (that many, admittedly, have rejected) is that
Husserlian phenomenology in practice (i.e. as a method of observation
regarding human experience) could provide the supplement to pre-
enactment, re-enactment, and other abstractions of actual human
experience for humanities scholars. If readers are unaware of
phenomenology and would be interested in supplementing their
humanities research using the phenomenological method, I would
recommend the excellent introduction to phenomenology by Stewart and
Mickunas, as well as Harry Reeder's (more practice-oriented) _Theory
and Practice of Husserl's Phenomenology_.

Regards,

J. Randolph Radney, Ph. D.
Paradox Educational Services
bclearningcoach at me.com

"Get the Education You Want in the Community You Love"