[Humanist] 23.236 new Perseus & two events

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Aug 19 06:33:08 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 18:36:51 +0100
        From: Helma Dik <helmadik at UCHICAGO.EDU>
        Subject: new Perseus; DHCS Colloquium; TEI workshop

Dear all,

I am delighted to announce several items:

-A new release of Perseus under PhiloLogic.

Please update your bookmarks to read: http://perseus.uchicago.edu

The new release features morphological and lemma searching in Greek
and Latin.
For more background, see http://perseus.uchicago.edu/about.html

-Call for Papers, DHCS colloquium, November 14-16, 2009.

This will the 4th annual Chicago colloquium on Digital Humanities and
Computer Science, organized jointly by Northwestern, IIT, and Chicago
- hosted at IIT this year.
Deadline for abstracts: August 30.
We've just had confirmed that Stephen Wolfram of Wolfram Alpha will be
one of the keynote speakers.

-TEI 'After Encoding' workshop, November 11.

Mark Olsen and I will do a full-day workshop on using PhiloLogic,
PhiloLine and PhiloMine with TEI-encoded collections on Wednesday,
November 11 at Ann Arbor, Michigan, as part of the TEI conference that
weekend (yes, the Midwest is a happenin' place mid-November, who'd
have thought..:-)). Note: this is for projects thinking about
installing PhiloLogic as a/the basic search and retrieval database for
a collection, not a how-to for end-users! In addition to presentations
on the system and its extensions, participants will be walked through
modifying basic Philologic loads and installing PhiloLine, the
sequence alignment extension. With sufficient advance notice, we will
do a basic load of people's TEI docs on a server at our end or help
out with installation issues at their end. Since PhiloMine install
(the textmining extension to PhiloLogic) is rather more involved, we
cannot walk through an installation at the workshop, but can help
troubleshoot installs ahead of time. Participants doing their own
installation should not be completely new to the command line.

Workshop URL: http://cybergreek.uchicago.edu/philotei.html
Conference URL: http://www.lib.umich.edu/spo/teimeeting09

Yours with best wishes,
Helma Dik