[Humanist] 23.213 new journal: Informatica Umanistica

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Aug 3 10:17:12 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 09:13:27 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: Informatica umanistica 1-2009

If one had to choose an historical place and time for the beginnings of
humanities computing, it would be (and conventionally has been) Italy in
the late 1940s, with the work of Fr Roberto Busa. The choice is an
historiographical act, not an indisputable fact -- earlier work in
machine translation, for example, demands attention, Edward Vanhoutte
has pointed out. Indeed, as the scope of disciplines to be considered
expands, choice is made more and more difficult, to the point that
choosing becomes problematic. Nevertheless the Italian tradition in
informatica umanistica remains, like Fr Busa himself, vital, vigorous,
venerable and brilliant. For that reason alone the new Italian journal
Informatica Umanistica, now in print and online at
www.ledonline.it/informatica-umanistica/, is more than worth our
attention. Its appearance is to be celebrated.

Fortunately for those many of us whose Italian is not up to the task,
Massimo Parodi's editorial, "Cercare di capire / Trying to understand",
has been translated into English (by Philip Grew). In it Parodi
considers the commonplace impatience with any systematic effort to
*understand* our practice philosophically. As Richard Hamming and others
have remarked for computer science, one can sympathize with the desire
to stop arguing and just get on with *doing* it. But when we consider
what tends to happen when "just doing it" rules -- uncritical adoption
of technologies and amnesia of the reasons for doing, i.e. narrow focus
on means to the detriment of ends, and in academia a social demotion to
the level of mere service -- the impatience becomes much harder to
maintain. Achieving a balance between practicing and theorizing isn't a
simple matter and excluding either ultimately crippling. But now, as
things are, esp in a methodologically orientated field that builds
things and is institutionally fragile where it exists at all, the danger
is that we will be forced to ignore critical, long-term thinking in
order to devote resources to short-term projects.

But since Parodi's editorial is online and provided bilingually, I'll
let you spend your time reading his better argument.

King's College London: staff.cch.kcl.ac.uk/~wmccarty/