[Humanist] 22.713 reading on 3-inch screens

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Apr 23 07:15:12 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:00:56 +0200
        From: Timothy Mason <timothyjpmason at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 22.707 reading on 3-inch screens

I have recently been using an iPod Touch as a reading device. I found
it works quite well, and allows me to use my regular commuting time to
catch upon reading, and also means I don't have to pack a large number
of books when spending time away from home. Note-taking facilities are
minimal; picking out letters one by one is tedious, so I simply make
book-marks which I can then take more extensive notes from on
returning home. Apparently cut and paste will be available in a future
up-date to the software.

Yesterday while participating in a protest against deteriorating
conditions in French universities I discovered that you can also read
text on the device fairly comfortably while walking round and round in
circles - a boon for any academic.

I second David Green's suggestion.

Best wishes

--