[Humanist] 22.707 reading on 3-inch screens

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Apr 21 07:31:38 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:03:28 -0400
        From: David Green <redgen at mac.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist]  22.706 doing as well as the codex

[The following raises the question of how many people actually attempt to do a significant amount of their computing on handheld devices. At one time, under different circumstances of work, I was a strong advocate (or at least a persistent one) of handheld computing, using such a device for taking notes. But more experience with same, and developing habits as well as better circumstances, have led me to abandon the practice, and to revert to bits of paper stuck in books, on which very brief notes are kept. Since then e-book readers have become more or less affordable. These at least potentially could take the place of printouts of downloaded articles. So, a general question: what are your peripetetic reading and note-taking habits? --WM]

Hi Willard:

I'm still an enthusiastic, if mostly silent, reader of Humanist. I
wonder if you might consider this suggestion about format. On many
mobile devices, when scrolling down email messages one can see the
first 3, 4 or 5 lines or so of text of the message. Humanist though
has so much heading that when scrolling down you can never get a view
of the specific contents. I wonder if you might consider a re-design -
perhaps more of the head details at the bottom? When Humanists started
who knew that a significant number of subscribers would be reading on
3" screens!

David

David Green
170 Brooklawn Terrace