[Humanist] 22.702 something to read?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Apr 18 11:55:51 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 10:50:14 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: something to read?

Surely there is no one here who lacks for things to read, so I won't go
there, as we say nowadays. But just as surely there are some here who
cultivate particular writers, or who may be -- as I just was -- on the
lookout for a digital version of a particular essay. (In my case, this
was for Stanley Cavell's "The Uncanniness of the Ordinary", 1986.) For
all those who find themselves in either category, I can recommend
looking at the University of Utah site where The Tanner Lectures on
Human Values sit, ready to be downloaded, from
http://www.tannerlectures.utah.edu/. Scanning down the list of past
lectures will make you wish there were more hours in the day.

Here let me commend those responsible for the Tanner Lectures for
their wonderful generosity.

Let me also draw the attention of those who observe what's going on, and
what follows from that, to yet another example of the digital yeast that
is utterly transforming how we do what we do -- and, however slowly,
what we do. (I take Langdon Winner's point about hype in his essay
"Mythinformation"; all I ask is that others *attend* to what's going
on.) And let me further recommend to those attenders that they think
about the Tanner site &al as an example of what can be done against the
current prophecy that in a few decades the humanities will exist only at
a few elite institutions. Let no one think that an idle threat, nor give
up in despair.