[Humanist] 22.347 affect in text-analysis

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Nov 22 09:53:46 CET 2008

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "J. Stephen Downie" <jdownie at uiuc.edu>                    (22)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist]  22.346 affect in text-analysis?

  [2]   From:    John Unsworth <unsworth at illinois.edu>                     (28)

        Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:17:13 -0600
        From: "J. Stephen Downie" <jdownie at uiuc.edu>

Hi WM and HDG:

The short answer is: absolutely!

In fact, I see this whole area of research ripe with opportunities. In
my lab , we (being led by my PhD student, Xiao Hu) are attempting to
triangulate the relationships between/among:

1. the "affect tags" as supplied unsolicited by music lovers
2. the actual audio associated with these tags
3. the lyric text of the above pieces

Will let you know how we make out in about 4 months!

Cheers,
Stephen

    "Research funding makes the world a better place"
J. Stephen Downie, PhD
Associate Professor,
Graduate School of Library and Information Science; and,
Center Affiliate, National Center for Supercomputing Applications
[Vox/Voicemail] (217) 649-3839
M2K Project Home: http://music-ir.org/evaluation/m2k