[Humanist] 22.342 software for concordancing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 21 09:04:59 CET 2008

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "William Winder" <winder at interchange.ubc.ca>              (92)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 22.341 software for concordancing under
                linux, ubuntu

  [2]   From:    James Cummings <James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk>             (25)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist]  22.337 software for concordancing under
                linux, ubuntu?

        Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 00:48:02 -0800
        From: "William Winder" <winder at interchange.ubc.ca>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 22.341 software for concordancing under linux, ubuntu

I would suggest TextStat (in python; gpl):
http://www.niederlandistik.fu-berlin.de/textstat/software-en.html

--
W.Winder
faculty.arts.ubc.ca/winder

        Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:34:39 +0000
        From: James Cummings <James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk>

Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

> as many other humanists i am making my way through ubuntu.
> under such a system i wonder which could be the programs to use for
> concordance / text analysis (what under windows we can do with
> monoconc by j. barlow) and for searching the tlg and phi cdrom's
> (diogenes is the last of a long list).
> thank you to everyone and excuse me if the question is too naive...
> maurizio

Hi Maurizio,

Almost any java-based program should work. However, a specific
recommendation from colleague of mine here who says he uses 'antconc'
under ubuntu.  http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/antconc_index.html I
believe it is free and runs on multiple platforms.

My concordancing/word frequency needs are far simpler than real
linguists so I tend either just to use normal linux commandline tools
(cut, sort, uniq all combine easily to do basic word frequency) or do
more structured queries with XQuery against texts in an XML database.
But I realise that isn't the kind of thing you want to do.

I hope that is of some help.

Best,
-James

--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford