[Humanist] 22.341 software for concordancing under linux, ubuntu

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Nov 20 09:29:31 CET 2008

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:55:31 -0800
        From: Joseph Vaughan <vaughan at hmc.edu>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist]  22.337 software for concordancing under linux, ubuntu?

Maurizio,

I have no specific recommendations for you, other than to say that,
after many years of struggling with this issue in several areas, I
finally decided to always have a copy of Windows running in VMWare
(first on Debian, now on Ubuntu).  It often saves me time, since the
time needed to configure or test something may not be available at the
time I need to run it.

A nice side effect is the portability of the VMWare virtual machine --
I've had the same windows virtual machine through several generations of
underlying hardware and Linux software.  And of course you don't have to
use VMWare.  VMWare Player is free, but so is VirtualBox (now owned by
Sun Microsystems).

I hope this helps.

Joseph

Joseph Vaughan