[Humanist] 22.326 continuing problems

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 14 11:34:33 CET 2008

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:28:33 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: continuing problems

Dear colleagues,

As you will have seen, in the query from René Audet, Humanist software
is still mangling characters along the way. We are paying attention,
never fear. Very frustrating.

Some have enquired about "digests" of Humanist messages again, and in
doing so have demonstrated my lack of clarity in the previous message on
this subject. Please forgive the repetition.

Humanist already digests messages by its software-assisted but
ultimately manual system, which groups messages by perceived subject or
subject-area. This has in fact been the case for over 20 years. Various
"list" systems, such as Listserv and Mailman, automatically digest
postings so that recipients get only one bundle at a time, though this
is not structured by subject. Messages are simply lumped together.
Apparently, with the new list-system Humanist is using (Mailman), it
would be significantly difficult and expensive to implement unstructured
digesting on top of Humanist's unique structured digesting. The
difficulty itself is not so much the problem as the expense, which would
have to be covered by the Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations
(ADHO), which is a small scholarly organization without much cash. ADHO
has been extraordinarily generous so far to fund a professional rewrite
of the Humanist system. I doubt very much if there's any money left in
the budget to fund additional work to digest on top of digesting. So I
am asking those who like the unstructured kind to be content with things
as they are. Is this not fair, given the situation?