[Humanist] 22.320 messed-up messages; digesting

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 12 22:29:54 CET 2008

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:27:55 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: messed up messages and digesting

Dear colleagues,

Apparently the problem of messed-up messages, which some of you have
experienced recently, is a difficult one to figure out. It would help us
enormously if anyone who receives such a message sends me a complaint
that specifies (a) the operating system they are using, (b) the mail
program, and (c) which version. Sorry about the extra burden.

It also turns out that with the change from Listserv and the old
software to Mailman and the new it has become quite difficult to allow
for the "digest" format. That is, it would be quite expensive to allow
for it. So I think it best for us simply not to offer that option any
longer. The programmer pointed out to me that we already offer a digest,
so it should be possible for recipients to see what they want without
scrolling very far down the message.