[Humanist] 22.314 language learning online

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Nov 11 07:37:04 CET 2008

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 06:32:15 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: language learning online

Those interested in how the web is put to good use will want to take
note of a former student's work in language learning, LanguageLab.com,
based on Second Life. I paste in here part of his advert.

WM

> Hola,
>
>     * Would you like to learn Spanish through real experiences in a
>       friendly, Spanish speaking virtual city?
>     * Have you ever wanted to learn a language but found yourself put
>       off by dry, uninvolving classes?
>     * Did you learn Spanish a while ago ... y lo tiene un poquito olvidado?
>

> ....Well Languagelab is offering you the chance to learn with our
> qualified native speaker Spanish teachers from the comfort of your own
> home .... in our very own virtual Spanish speaking city 'Ciudad Bonita'.
>
> Studying with Languagelab will improve your fluency and help you acquire
> vocabulary faster than any other method. It's a great way to get back
> into Spanish if you are a little rusty.
>
> Our method gives you more opportunity to practice with native speakers
> than in any other school or programme. You really will be confident in
> basic interactions with Spanish native speakers after only 10 weeks.
>

> *'Beginners Spanish' at Languagelab is: *
>
>     * *10 week course (beginning 17th November) *
>
> You will receive:
>
>     * *2 hours of fixed classes per week with qualified Spanish teachers*
>     * *2 hours of optional live practice with native Spanish speakers in
>       Ciudad Bonita *

[...]
> For more information click here
> http://blog.languagelab.com/2008/11/06/new-learn-spanish-with-languagelabcom/

[...]
--
Willard McCarty, Professor of Humanities Computing, King's College
London, staff.cch.kcl.ac.uk/~wmccarty/; Editor, Interdisciplinary