[Humanist] 22.383 source of quotation?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Dec 16 08:31:50 CET 2008

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        From: "Donald Weinshank" <weinshan at cse.msu.edu>
        Subject: Source of quotation about Physics in the 20th century

Fellow humanists:

For many years, I have been on the track of a quotation from (as I recall) a
noted physicist in the early part of the 20th century. All attempts have
failed, and the reference librarians at my university admit defeat. (Against
the chance that I had previous posted this query, I searched our database
for my name and for the quote but found neither.)

Here is the quote as I remember it and what I believe are the references the
physicist had in mind.

===================================
"Science in the 20th century is about the very large, the very small, the
very fast and the very slow."

the universe
sub-atomic structure
relativity
evolution and geological  change

Can anybody give me a source for that quote?

Thanks!

Dr. Don Weinshank Professor Emeritus Comp. Sci. & Eng.
1520 Sherwood Ave., East Lansing MI 48823-1885
Ph. 517.337.1545   FAX 517.337.1665
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~weinshan